1. Senate President, Abubakar Bukola Saraki, Thursday, declared his presidential ambition on the platform of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
Saraki made this public at a dialogue with Youth and Young aspirants held at Sheraton hotel under the auspices of the “Not Too Young To Run” movement and in the presence of the PDP National Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus in Abuja.
2. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has approved the use of indirect primaries at the state levels of party’s primaries, and direct primaries at the national level.
The declaration was made on Thursday during its National Executive Committee (NEC), which had in attendance Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, Senate Majority Leader, Ahmed Lawan, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, governors on the platform of the ruling APC, other chieftains of the party and new party members like Godswill Akpabio.
3. Governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal has picked the presidential nomination form of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Tambuwal, who is one of the Governors who recently defected from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) to the PDP, arrived at Wadata Plaza headquarters of the party in Abuja with his supporters on Thursday evening where he picked the forms.
4. The Oyo State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Mr Mutiu Agboke, on Thursday said 10 persons had been arrested and were undergoing prosecution over allegation of vote-buying in the just concluded Ekiti State governorship election.
Agboke disclosed this on Thursday in Ibadan during a sensitization campaign on the ongoing collection of Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) and update on the 2019 election, NAN reports.
5. Former Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Titi Oseni-Gomez, on Thursday defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the African Democratic Congress (ADC).
She said she took the decision after due consultations and “reality on ground that the party remained crisis-ridden.”
6. President Muhammadu Buhari will today depart for China to participate in the 7th Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) scheduled to hold September 3 – 4, 2018 in Beijing.
His spokesman, Garba Shehu, said the President’s first engagement in Beijing will be an interactive session with the Nigerian Community in China at the Nigerian Embassy.
7. The joint Committee of the Senate and House of Representatives has approved the sum of N143. 3 billion to be expended by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the 2019 general election.
Chairman, Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Suleiman Nazif, told newsmen that the amount was the original request made by President Muhammadu Buhari vide his letter dated 17th July, 2019, shortly before lawmakers went on annual recess.
8. Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, on Thursday declared that President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration has “lifted millions of Nigerians out of poverty” in the last three years.
According to Osinbajo, within the same period, the administration had also laid a solid foundation for a more resilient and competitive economy as well as providing the needed infrastructure and opened the space for private investment to accelerate growth and development through the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP) initiative.
9. The Berom Educational and Cultural Organisation (BECO) has called on the government and security operatives to fish out the killer herdsmen who carried the recent attack that claimed the lives of 10 persons, including a pastor and his family members.
BECO equally said they have lost 20 persons and that over 225 farms were destroyed, alongside crops in the past three weeks.
10. In sport, Real Madrid midfielder, Luka Modric, has been named UEFA’s Men’s Player of the Year.
Modric was announced as the winner during the draw for the group stages of the Champions League on Thursday in Nyon, Switzerland, beating Mohammed Salah and former Real Madrid team-mate, Cristiano Ronaldo to the prize.
compiled by Dailypost