1. The Federal Government of Nigeria on Wednesday announced that the name of the proposed new National Carrier is ‘Nigeria Air’.
Minister of State for Aviation, Sen. Hadi Sirika, disclosed this while unveiling the airline to investors at the ongoing Farnborough International Air Show in UK.
2. Nigeria police on Wednesday arrested eight persons suspected to have taken part in the abduction of the 276 Chibok schoolgirls in Borno State in 2014.
The eight Boko Haram terrorists who were among 22 persons paraded, were said to have been arrested by operatives of the Inspector General Police Intelligence Response Team in Borno, Adamawa and adjoining communities.
3. The Senate on Wednesday, acknowledged receipt of President Muhammadu Buhari’s request to confirm two non-legal practitioners, Sen. Abba Ali from Katsina, representing North West and Mohammed Sagir from Niger, representing North Central as members of the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC).
The President also requested for the confirmation of Chairman and six members of the board of the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), in compliance with Section 5(4) of the NDIC Act 2006.
4. Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday, met with former President Ibrahim Babangida, at his Uphill home in Minna, Niger State.
Jonathan, who came to Niger by road, arrived IBB’s home at about 10am in an entourage of six black Prado SUVs for the meeting that lasted almost two hours and Jonathan drove out of Babangida’s home at 12:47pm.
5. The Publicity Secretary of the APC in Benue, Mr Agbo Terkula, has resigned both his membership of the party and the position he occupied.
In a letter of resignation, dated Wednesday, July 18, 2018, addressed to the state chairman of the party, Terkula claimed the APC controlled federal government did not represent the interests and yearnings of the people of the state.
6. Aloysius Iyorgyer Katsina-Alu, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria has been reported dead.
The former Chief Justice was said to have died on Wednesday morning at the age of 76. He was to be 77 in a few weeks.
7. Governor of Benue state, Samuel Ortom, has said he has not declared for any party yet, despite the emergence of his campaign posters for the 2019 governorship election, on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Ortom said the posters being posted on walls in Makurdi were not approved by him.
8. The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Command in Ogun state on Wednesday confirmed that three persons were killed, while four others sustained various degrees of injuries after an accident involving two vehicles at Baagbon, on Abeokuta -Ibadan Expressway.
The state FRSC Sector Commander, Mr Clement Oladele told newsmen on Wednesday in Ota, that the accident happened around 10.45 a.m., on Tuesday.
9. The Police on Wednesday confirmed the arrest of a governorship aspirant in Borno State, Grema Terab.
Terab was apprehended on Tuesday by SARS personnel at an event attended by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.
10. A former Deputy Governor of Osun State, Senator Iyiola Omisore, has emerged a factional candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), for the upcoming governorship election scheduled to hold September 22.
Omisore defeated two other aspirants, Atanda Munirudeen Kehinde and Oladeji Kolawole Yemisi, with a landslide victory in the primary election held on Wednesday, in 332 wards, across 31 local councils in the state.